When I first officially became RBA, the VERY FIRST thing someone asked me was, "when are we going to have a wool jersey? Seattle's look so cool!". Having been the volunteer to coordinate many jersey sales, I am resigned to the fact that orders never meet what people say. However, I dutifully shopped around with some criteria:
- It had to be comfortable and NOT SCRATCHY! I have high standards on this point (I own a lot of wool too).
- It has to be wearable in Wisconsin in the summer. Not too thick here, wool can be very comfortable in warm temps too.
- No spray on lettering or thick, uncomfortable embroidery, but identifiable as GLR. Colors are Gold and Maroon - classy.
- It has to be durable. Sure, I'm not throwing it in with jeans, but it can't totally require handwashing.
- It has to be reasonable in price for what I am getting knowing that it is a custom wool jersey and they cost some $$.
So I finally landed in New Zealand at Soigneur. They make many classic cycling jerseys - and that is all they do. New Zealand has many more sheep than people and has some of the finest wool in the world. I sent them off an email and they were willing to make me two initial jerseys for shipment RIGHT NOW. So today I have mine and that guy whose idea this was has one too.
I have to say I am impressed. The wool is silky smooth - I would not guess it was wool. It fit exactly as it was supposed to and looks really nice. The lettering is woven into the fabric and doesn't rub in any way. It is a classic and well made jersey with 3 back pockets. While the first two are short sleeve, they will make a long sleeve. The photo shown is the real jersey and may (or may not) also be a close up of your RBA's chest. Look how nice it fits!
Because these jerseys require thread to be dyed to our colors, we MUST have our order in by December 15 to have delivery before our opener on April 23rd. We will NOT have inventory on these - order now! We will ship them to you when we receive them for $5 which will be in the spring.
To order, use our new website which has all the sizing information - you can pay by PayPal or by Credit Card securely.